27 April 2012

Map Paintings

To end our map-themed crafting week, I'll share with you a Portland-based artist named Rachel Austin. I'd introduce her to you but Rachel and I have never met. I read about her on Etsy and how she quit her day job to be a successful full-time painter. Isn't that TADA!?

via Rachel Austin
Of her work, I really adore her map paintings. They're made of old maps mounted on wood. Then she adds a waxy layer. Once the wax is dry, she draws or paints on it. Take a look:
via Rachel Austin
via Rachel Austin
via Rachel Austin
The drawings have a child-like quality to them. They feature everyday objects like flowers, paper planes or birds in flight.

via Rachel Austin
They're colorful, peaceful and depict a simple way of life. Almost like observing the world from a quiet place.

via Rachel Austin
Each painting is named after a location on the map.

via Rachel Austin
They are framed using recycled wood pallets that have been trimmed and sanded down {another TADA!}.

via Rachel Austin
In an interview, she says, "I love the feeling of painting a piece and feeling right after it's done (as long as I like it). It sometimes feels spiritual, like God is painting through me."  


Being spiritual myself, I kinda like that.

via Rachel Austin
I hope you enjoyed these paintings and all the blah to TADA! ideas you can do with maps. Have a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

Your comments are very much appreciated!