06 May 2013

Japanese Cherry Blossoms

Happy Monday everyone!

A dear friend of mine sent me this postcard from her holiday in Japan. How lucky was she to be there during the cherry blossom season! 

Cherry blossoms or sakura are a sight to behold, especially if they are planted in clusters. The Japanese even have a tradition called Hanami or "viewing of flowers". I think any reason to stop and appreciate nature is TADA!

Where I live, I get to experience Hanami even if I'm many miles away from Japan. I simply go to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

Around mid to end April, the cherry blossoms are at their peak. Being surrounded by pink trees is so surreal, it's like living in a fairy tale!

After a long winter, the trees exhibit these pastel flowers before growing their leaves. 

It's a common sight for urban dwellers to sit under this glorious canopy of pink. There are lots of picnickers, mommies and babies on a play date, and couples out to enjoy an afternoon. 

Japanese in this part of the world get to live and share their culture.

It's no surprise that many photographers and painters come here to capture this fleeting season. 

So beautiful. Sigh. 

A confetti of petals.

Sakura-inspired merchandise at the Garden Shop

 I zeroed in on the dishes and teapot-shaped salt and pepper shakers.

If you're ever in New York City, a visit to the garden will surely turn your day from blah to TADA!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I had the chance to see the cherry blossoms a week ago, too: I took a few pictures.
    What a wonderful sight! Glad you had the chance to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Monica! Your photos are beautiful! You've got a wonderful blog as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!